Thursday, March 1, 2012

Glutenized!

My husband and I are spending the winter in Courtenay BC - our two sons and two grandsons live here so we get to escape the snow and spend quality time with them!  The bonus - Courtenay is very gluten-free friendly so it is easy to shop for groceries and restaurants for the most part are very careful.  Some restaurants even have dedicated kitchens to ensure there is no contamination!  Monday, we decided to go for a drive and ended up in Campbell River.  We really didn't have any plans, so when we saw the ferry for Quadra Island was in, we decided to hop on it.  We ended up at Rebecca Spit and took the dog for a long walk.  Getting a might peckish after a few hours, we stopped at a little restaurant.  There wasn't much of a selection for me, and after many questions, we decided on sweet potato fries.  That is the only thing I can possibly think of where I could have come in contact with gluten.  My fault - I should have known better.  They tasted delightful, but I paid for it for three days - headaches, gut pain, diarrhea, well you get the idea.  That's what happens when you get hungry and haven't planned ahead.  I usually pack snacks or protein bars but this was an unexpected trip.  We didn't even have our camera, which is really too bad because it was so beautiful. Last minute trips are fun, but not good if you have so many food allergies/intolerances.  You have to be prepared all the time, and sometimes its just not fun.  I always have water and snacks for the dog stashed in the car.  So lesson learned - stash some snacks and protein bars in the car to tide me over for the few places that can't accomodate.  If its good enough for the dog.....  In the meantime, I'm going back to lie down.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment