Raw fruits and vegetables are high in antioxidants and it is believed that this can help reduce signs of aging. According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman (author of "Eat to Live") raw cruciferous vegetables, such as cauliflower, cabbage, cress, bok choy, kale, broccoli and similar green leaf vegetables have the most powerful anti-cancer effects of all foods. He further believes they neutralize free radicals, rendering them harmless and reducing cancer risk. Certainly something to think about.
With all the food intolerances and allergies I have, I want to get the most out of what I am eating - the most vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and flavour. So I am incorporating more raw food recipes into my diet. I am not eating a completely raw diet, but I believe by adding some recipes to my repertoire I am becoming more healthy and it is opening up a whole new world for me.
Some raw food recipes are easy to prepare, while others need advanced planning and specific kitchen appliances (blender, food processor, dehydrator) to prepare them. I found one recipe for raw vegan chocolate mousse - it is so decadent! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I served it to guests last week, and I didn't tell them anything about it until after they tasted it. After the rave reviews, one of my guests asked for the recipe and nobody would believe that the main ingredient is avocado! I will add the recipe at the end of this post -only four ingredients and very easy to make. Let me know if you like it.
One of my favourite sites for recipes and information is better raw. (Check out the link on the top corner of my blog - just look for the chocolate covered strawberry....yum!) Tanya Alekseeva writes a blog and has written a few e-books of raw food recipes. I have purchased two and I have loved every recipe I have tried so far. The link will take you to the books if you would like to purchase and download one (very reasonable prices too) or you can check out her blog. I like ordering e-books as I can download them right away, instead of waiting for them to arrive by snail mail!
I am always looking for recipes for food that I can eat. You have to eat healthy to be healthy. And if it tastes good and is good for me....well to me, that is the perfect food!
Raw Vegan Chocolate Mousse
4 ripe Avocados
1 cup Agave Nectar
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup Organic Fair Trade Cocoa Powder (or Carob)
Slice each avocado open and scoop out the insides. Place the insides in a food processor or high speed blender. Add Agave nectar, vanilla and cocoa powder. Process or blend the mixture until fully blended, smooth and the colour of chocolate. You can instantly serve the mousse, but I recommend you let it cool in the fridge for at least an hour. Serve in cups with fresh fruit or mint. It tastes great with sliced strawberries!
(recipe from Autonomie Project at www.autonomieproject.com)
(Note: I couldn't find Organic Fair Trade Cocoa Powder so I substituted with an organic dark cocoa powder)
ENJOY!
·
No comments:
Post a Comment