Thursday, August 23, 2012

Recovery

This has been quite a summer.  A radical prostatectomy for my husband and hip surgery for me.  Most of the summer has been spent with one or both of us in recovery mode.
John is doing fabulous - he started cycling last Sunday and plans on completing the 25 mile Centurion ride on September 15th.  He is hiking Blue Mountain with our dog and started back at exercise class today.  He has switched from recovery to training mode. 
When he completed a 38 km ride a few days ago, I said if he could do that then he could absolutely finish the 25 mile Centurion ride mid September.  I was proud of him and thought I was being supportive and positive.  But I got quite the "look" as he turned to me and emphatically stated, "I don't just want to complete it - I want to be first in my age category."  I guess I was told!
He is not only doing the ride for himself either - he will be raising funds for our local hospital.  Added incentive.
I wish I could do it with him, but I am only 2 weeks post surgery, so it's not in the cards for me.  But I will be there cheering him on.  After all, he is my hero! 

No comments:

Post a Comment